Tuesday, March 5, 2019

A Shrove Tuesday Story


I joined Ancestry.com shortly after Jamie and I found out we were going to have a baby. We thought it might help inspire us to name our new child. While we picked family names from recent history, I still journeyed down the rabbit hole of Ancestry.com.

Chancel Gates at St. Margaret's c. 2014
Growing up, I remember my grandfather telling me that we had an ancestor who was a priest in the Church of England. However, he didn't comment on the particulars of his life. Much to my surprise there was a lot to uncover on the internet about our ancestor. I soon found out why my grandfather didn't have much to say about Arthur Alvey.

Even though Alvey served as Rector of St. Margaret's Church in Knotting, England for nearly 40 years, one history book says, "Alvey's career was hardly distinguished." The history goes on to share that Alvey and the Wardens of the parish allowed cockfighting to take place in the Chancel on Shrove Tuesday in three successive years - 1634, 1635, and 1636.

In 1637, Archbishop William Laud ordered that Chancel gates be built and locked except during worship. Alvey's history is vague after 1637. Some say he lost his living as a priest while others say he retired shortly thereafter.

The current Vicar of the parish told me in an email, "never was this parish in better financial position than when your ancestor was Rector." I would assume cockfighting was a lucrative fundraiser! I suppose if there was a night to do cockfighting at church then Shrove Tuesday would be the night to do it.

Tonight, churches around the world will gather for a Mardi Gras (Fat Tuesday) celebration. Many will serve pancakes and bacon as a way to help parishioners indulge before the Lenten fast. I'd imagine that most of those Shrove Tuesday pancake suppers will also take donations to support the youth group or another parish or outreach ministry.

While I am sure Church of the Ascension in Vestavia Hills won't raise as much money as my ancestor (considering inflation), I am glad that our Shrove Tuesday celebration will be more family friendly! You are welcome and invited to join us this evening from 5:30 - 7:00 at Church of the Ascension (1912 Canyon Road, Vestavia Hills - behind Publix on HWY 31).







No comments:

Post a Comment