Monday, October 1, 2018

Why Are You Here?

October 2018 Newsletter Article for Ascension on the Mountain

A question that I am frequently asked says, “Why did you want to become a priest?” While I wasn’t struck blind on the Road to Damascus like the Apostle Paul, I usually begin answering this question by sharing my first conversion story. I say first conversion story because I believe God is in the business of converting us toward the love Jesus again and again.

When I was ten years old my parents got a divorce. In addition to the divorce, both my parents were battling their own demons. Needless to say, I spent most of my adolescent years feeling lost. Thankfully, I found a place in the church through youth group.

When I was fifteen, my youth minister invited me to attend a summer mission trip called Towel Ministry which took place in Valle Crucis, North Carolina. At the halfway point of the trip, the Deacon in charge of the ministry held a healing service.

I had never attended a healing service before and was a little ambivalent about coming forward to receive prayers for healing. After what I can only describe as a nudge from the Holy Spirit, I found myself at the altar rail.

Deacon Chris Greer asked, “How can I pray for you tonight?” I responded, “My parents are struggling. I would like to ask prayers of healing for them.” He looked at me again, “I’m afraid you didn’t hear me. How can I pray for YOU?” No one had ever asked me that question. Tears rushed down my face, and I didn’t say anything because I was afraid to sound like a blubbering mess.

Chris anointed my forehead with healing oil, laid his hands upon my head, and began he prayer saying something like, “Gracious God, I ask prayers of healing for your beloved son Jack…” When the prayer was over, I stood up and felt lifted to life in a way I hadn’t experienced before. Suddenly, my life had a direction and a purpose rooted in the healing power of God’s love.

While I couldn’t articulate it at the time, I know now this was my call to discipleship. In the same way Peter’s mother-in-law began to serve after she was healed, I felt called to serve after I was healed. Over the years, this story has become a frame of reference for my ministry in the church. Simply put, I knew I wanted to be a part of the ministry of healing and it just so happens that God called me to be a priest to fulfill that ministry.

This story is my invitation to ask you, “Why are you here?” “Why are you a member of Ascension?” “Why are you a follower of Jesus?” Your answer is not only important to me but also to other members of the congregation. The Christian fellowship is strengthened when we share with one another our life with God. We gain a sense of direction and purpose when we understand our collective story.

As a way to encourage this conversation, I will be organizing small group sessions to create space for these questions to be answered. I will be working with the Vestry and the staff to make sure everyone has the opportunity to be a part of these small group gatherings. While some of these conversations will take place at the church, I’d love the opportunity to meet in your homes. If you are willing to host a session, please let me know!

As you contemplate your answer, please don’t feel like it needs to be perfectly scripted. Just start talking and let the Holy Spirit move you to share your story with others who are hungry to share their story. For in the end, we are a people who are shaped by stories. In particular, we are shaped by the story of how God’s love invites us to know healing and wholeness through our Savior Jesus Christ. May God bless us and heal us as we discover how we are all a part of God’s story of love and redemption.

No comments:

Post a Comment