Monday, March 12, 2018

Snake Bites and Anti-Venom



            If you didn’t already know it already, I am a quote junkie. And what I mean is that I love quotations that inspire and capture deep truths in a nutshell.  They say brevity is the soul of wit. Based on the number of quotes I throw around, one might think I am some kind of book worm.
The truth be told – I follow blogs and news feeds of avid readers and use quotations from what they are reading. Now, I am not a total bum. I do go back and read some of these books. I might just read the chapter where the quotation comes from, but I read nonetheless.
Anyway, there is one particular quotation that has haunted/challenged me for the last several years. And it happens to be from a book that I myself picked up to read. Now, don’t ask me for the title and the author because I don’t remember…
My recollection of the quote reads, “Your vocation as a preacher is to convince good people that they let their institutions do their sinning for them.” As you might imagine, this is not a quote I throw around a lot. These are heavy words that begin complicated conversations about the nature of corporate sin and our complicit nature in all the sins which plague society. These heavy words remind us that even the best of us with the best intentions have the power to destroy and corrupt.
I am very aware that this quote initiates a conversation that we are not used to having and it certainly initiates a conversation we are not comfortable having. In my experience, when Christians talk about sin, we usually talk about individual sin. What have I done to damage the body of Christ? What have I done to grieve the Holy Spirit? But sometimes we must ask, “What have we done?” What has the church done? What has our country done? What has my tribe done to harm another tribe?
This quotation has re-surfaced in my consciousness during this Lenten season. Some of this relates to the unrest that our country is currently experiencing. Some of it relates to the unrest that Selma is currently experiencing. But the rubber hit the road when I read today’s Old Testament lesson from Numbers.
In this lesson fromNumbers, God sends poisonous snakes to convince the Hebrews of their corporate sin. (Now, that’s a thought…!)  Finally, Moses intercedes for the people and says, “We have sinned…” In much the same way, we as a church kneel together to confess our corporate sin. We confess that we have sinned against thee…
            Before I hit the gas pedal again, a story that I hope will bring a little levity and clarity to this passage from Numbers…Did you know that in all the years that Camp McDowell has been the Episcopal Camp and Conference Center for the Diocese of Alabama, only one snake bite has been reported. This snake bite occurred just a few years ago to a summer camp staff member.
Using the logic from the Numbers passage, I guess this means the summer staff at Camp McDowell has been especially holy and sin-free over the years since God has only sent one snake to bite a summer staff over the sixty years of summer camp.
But this is one of those cases where you can’t take scripture too literally. Remember that God gave us reason and intellect to further discern God’s presence in our lives. And my own reason, based on my experience as a summer staff member, tells me that more than one summer staffer should have been bitten over the years!
But because we don’t take this passage literally, this does not mean that we should not take this passage seriously. In fact, we should take this passage as seriously as a snake bite. The summer camper who was bitten by a baby copper head was airlifted to UAB because the local hospital in Jasper was out of anti-venom.
As you may know, anti-venom is highly expensive and doesn’t keep for very long. And curiously enough, anti-venom contains the poisonous venom injected by the snake bite. In other words, the same stuff that poisons is also used to cure.
Now, I hope this curious passage from Numbers seems a little less bizarre now. This passage reveals truth that we too are familiar with in our day and time. While God isn’t turning snakes into bronze statutes, at least not to my knowledge, God does continue to show humanity that the way to healing and wholeness begins by facing fears, by facing death, by enduring pain and suffering.   And in Jesus resurrection, we are shown that our greatest fears, sin and death, have no power over us if we are in Christ.    
Like receiving a dose of anti-venom for a snake bite, there are a lot of serious side effects associated with facing the very corporate sin we try to run from. Side effects include but are not limited to feelings of extreme vulnerability, feelings of aloneness, complications in our relationships with members of our tribe or family, long periods of keep our mouths’ shut because we must listen to someone else talk, changing the way we’ve always thought about things, letting go of grudges and suspicions that keep our hatred for the other alive.
As Christians, we believe God’s most potent dose of anti-venom comes on the cross of Jesus Christ. This truth is proclaimed by Jesus in today’s gospel, “Just as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, so too must the Son of Man be lifted up, that whoever believes in him may have enteral life.” This is Jesus’ first Passion prediction and indicates that salvation doesn’t come through the avoidance of pain and death but through the endurance of pain and death.
I have learned many times that any attempt to achieve healing and wholeness by going around pain and death simply delays the inevitable. We will eventually face the things that we run from – sin and death. We live in a world that hands out band aide after band aide, we seek temporary solutions for long term problems.  And the longer we wait, the worse the diagnosis gets.
My spiritual diagnosis of our culture and our nation tells me that we’ve waited long enough, and we need emergency surgery. We need to have those uncomfortable conversations where we risk hearing how we have sinned against God and neighbor, where we risk telling the other how they have sinned against us. And the only way those conversations will work if we call on the God of mercy to help us through. Otherwise, we will resort to arguing over whose temporary fix is better.
Unfortunately, I am not convinced that our county is ready to have this conversation because I am not sure our county has been convinced of its corporate and institutional sin. And I want to be clear that while this statement has political and social implications, this statement is rooted in my understanding of human depravity regardless of your political party, race, or socio-economic class.
And so I wonder, how many snake bites must we take as an American culture before we confess, repent, and seek a better way together?  How many snake bites must we take before we risk putting our pettiness and pride aside for the sake of our country, for the sake of our children, for the sake of the gospel, for the sake of Jesus? How many times must we get bitten until we, as an entire country, repent and humbly beg God to help us live more faithfully?
At this point, you might be wondering, “Where is the grace? Where is the mercy?” Well, if I am understanding scripture and my life experiences correctly, then true grace and true mercy cannot be experienced until we are confronted with the destructive nature of our sin, until we’ve been bitten by a venomous snake and cry out for mercy. And it is there were our God, whose property is always to have mercy, will come and show us the way of salvation.
And my faith tells me that when we come to the place where we cry, “Lord, have mercy” in unison, then our churches, our communities, and our and nation will be empowered to confess how we as individuals and institutions are contributing to the problems that plague our society. Crying, “Lord, have mercy” is the first step toward healing and wholeness.
And the cry, “Lord, have mercy” has the most power at the foot of the cross, at the place where the Son of Man is lifted high for the sins of all humanity. It is here where every man, woman, and child is humbled by the sins that destroy the image of God in the other. And it is here where God can finally get to work and initiate in humanity the work of Christ’s reconciling love through the process of absolution, true repentance, amendment of life, and the grace and consolation of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment