Friday, December 14, 2012

sighs too deep for words: our Father, who art in heaven...

I am deeply saddened, outraged, grieved, and overwhelmed by the shootings in Connecticut this morning.  I've tried to make sense out of this act of this senseless violence.  I've prayed.  I've remembered books, good books, that deal with problem of evil and the justice of God.  I've prayed again.  I've had conversations with friends about gun control and the nature of God's sovereignty.  I've seen people get into arguments on social media over the best way to stop to this violence (will the insanity ever stop?).  I have also seen thoughts and prayers of compassion and heartbreak.  This kind of tragedy brings out the best and worst in us all, including me (Lord have mercy). 

It is really hard to know what to say.  I know God is call me to say something, to say something about the violence and suffering in the world.  God, I really do not know what to say!  Help me.  What can be said?

Again, I am reminded one of my favorite passages in scripture found in Romans 8.  "We know that the whole creation has been groaning in labor pains...Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we ought, but that very Spirit intercedes with sighs too deep for words."
 
It seems especially appropriate that at this time that we remember the words our Lord Christ taught us to say...

 Our Father, who art in heaven,
hallowed be thy Name;
   thy kingdom come, thy will be done,
   on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
   as we forgive those who trepass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
   but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the kingdom, and the power,
   and the glory, for ever and ever. Amen.

God help us to live in your Kingdom today where guns and violence are powerless and where evil and hate are replaced by your compassion and goodness. 

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment