Monday, October 22, 2012

Prayer, Why Bother?

For the second time in as many weeks Jesus asks, "What do you want me to do for you?"  This time a blind man named Bartimaeus is the one on the receiving end of the question.  Bartimaeus' reply, "let me see again" comes in sharp contrast to James and John's reply, "We want to sit one at your right hand and one at your left in glory." (Mark 10:35-52)

One would have to imagine that Jesus already knows the answer to his own question since he is, well, the Son of God .  In this particular case, Bartimaeus' need is obvious to all who are gathered.  He is a blind man and wants his sight restored.

The natural question that begs to be asked says, "If Jesus knows what is needed, then why even ask?"  I approached prayer this way for many years.  For quite some time, my prayer life was idle because this kind of questioning left me thinking, why pray if God already knows what I need?  Eventually, I realized that this approach had me turning to God for a transaction instead of relationship (some might say I saw God as a vending machine).  In other words, I forgot that at the core of prayer is an opportunity to grow closer to God; and as we say in church sometimes, prayer keeps my heart and mind in the knowledge and love of God.

As with any earthly relationship, a part of growing closer to God means naming the things I need (or think I need).  When I name these things out loud to others or before God, I admit that I need help and support.  I like to think that I am taking my baptism promises seriously (I will, with God's help).

In a way, I am also admitting that I am blind to what I really need.  Like the blind mind, I need Jesus to restore my sight.  By naming the things I think I need, Jesus can help me see what I really need.  Jesus tells James and John that they do not know what they are asking and shows them what they really need, a Savoir.  In other words, James and John are blind to what it really means to sit in glory with Christ.  To sit in glory with Christ means following the will of God.  In order to follow the will of God, we must lay down our misplaced illusions of greatness and follow the one who is slave and servant of all.

I believe these two passages give us tools for prayer.  On one hand, I do believe Jesus is telling us to ask for what we want no matter how silly it sounds (i want to win the game, etc.).  However, we should be ready to hear Jesus say, "I am not sure you know what you are asking."  In addition, our prayer might end by saying, "restore my sight, help me to see that your ways are better than my ways.  restore my sight, help me to know you better and see that your way is none other than the way of life and peace."

It has been said that prayer doesn't necessarily change God but it changes us.  Prayer changes us because it calls us to recognize that we are all blind and that we all need Jesus to restore our sight.  Prayer keeps our eyes open to see where it is Jesus is calling us.  Prayer keeps us in the knowledge and love of God. 

This is the good news.  Jesus is calling us to see new hope and new possibilities for life because of his Father in heaven.  Our prayers to God give us the opportunity to see that Jesus makes all things new and that Jesus will help us see even though we are blind.
      

No comments:

Post a Comment